Sunday, September 25, 2011

Art Imitates Life


This is NOT our car and NOT our house.  It is, in fact, the house next door to us.  And, believe it or not, the lady who was driving the truck apparently walked away.  When we got home that evening, we got out of the car and thought, "Oh, the neighbors are up late working on their house."  They were, of course, tarping over the damage and doing emergency work to keep everything standing.

Donny was impressed with the idea of a car crashing into a building and that scenario has been creeping into the stories he's been telling.  Our friend, Kirsten, babysat him for a few hours today and she said that his building of complex houses with his architectural blocks has now been enlivened with reenactments of the car crash using any variety of cars from his toychest.  "Imitative play!" was her assessment--and with all due respect to the neighbors and the driver, I'm ok with that!

Kirsten also said that Donovan was telling her about his brothers and sisters.  I did'nt get a chance to ask if he included any info on his cats (Gwinty and Linto) or his babies (Lil' Baby MoMo Charnival Shanley or Maestro Faestro Shanley).  Tonight he drew a picture of his baby, me when I was a baby, and himself.  He was much bigger than either Lil' Baby or me and he had alot of hair.  We were all smiling, which was a nice change.  I'm hoping the Frown Period of his artistic career is over.  I was starting to wonder if CYS was going to come ask why our child only drew sad and angry people.

*Photo by Zak Orszulak, who posted it on Facebook, but I stole it from here without asking anyone's permission. Let me know if I need to take it down and I will.

No comments: