Monday, September 19, 2011

Wherein The Apple Falls Right Next To the Tree

Today was my first day volunteering at Donovan's school.  His room already has a lovely and capable "room parent" so I offered my services in the school library (yes, I'm not a librarian, but some of my best friends are...).  It was just a Get to Know The Place sort of session and I was done quickly.  Mike and I had lunch together and when we got home there was a big box on the porch, a box addressed to Donovan sent from his uncle in Denver.

It was a record player.

 
When Mike's nephew, Jack, was born, lo, these 14 years ago, Mike found a "phonograph" for him and sent it to Denver along with some Herb Alpert records. So now the phonograph is back in Pittsburgh along with some Read Along records, Snoopy and the Royal Guardsmen and (inexplicably) the soundtrack to Easy Rider.



On the way home from picking up the kid, Mike wanted to stop at Paul's CDs in Bloomfield. All three of us went in.


















Four of us if you count the monkey.


Donovan made himself at home by running laps around the huge island of CD bins.  One of ploys to slow him down was to say, "Donny, LOOK--now that you have a record player, you could play ANY OF THESE RECORDS on it!"  He liked that idea and immediately started handing me albums, "I think I would like this one.  And this one.  And this one..."  Luckily, the nice guy who worked there pointed out the Bargain Box and we diverted Donny's attention there.  He chose a Count Basie album and a 12 inch single of an instrumental on Motown.  I forget what and who it is but all Donovan really cared about was that it said "Motown Sound" on the front.  I think he liked saying that. 


So the vinyl torch has been officially passed.  Soon, once we get the skinny room cleaned out enough to stand in, I will make a sweeping gesture towards the shelfset that holds my and my husband's massive merged record collection and I will get to say those words every matriarch/patriarch dreams of saying: "Someday, son, this will all be yours."



No comments: