Friday, February 12, 2010

Snowday #5 Continued: An Invitation to the Donner Party

Considering this was the 5th (6th? 7th?) day Donny and I have been trapped in the house together, its amazing I held out this long. A couple of weeks ago I took the boy to Super Cuts where he's gotten some good haircuts fairly cheap. I'm trying to get out of the habit of longwinded bitching so let me just say this last time I took him they were understaffed, had quoted me an appointment time that was an hour and a half off and, by the time I put him in the stylist's chair he was not having it. Plus, I don't need some 20 something chippy giving my kid a sucker and then yanking it out of his mouth saying, "Oh no. I don't play that--you only get the sucker if you're good."

I'll stop now.

ANYhow, I spent a little time during the kid's nap looking up advice online about how to cut his hair. I watched a couple of videos and it seemed like something I could do. And, really: how much worse could it look?

Here is Donovan with the prerequisite bribe: a sucker. The sucker is a good bribe for many things but haircuts? I had to rinse it off 3 different times because it got so much hair on it.

The boy was not happy. In fact, at the very end, I had to get him in a headlock so I could make sure that BOTH ears were cut out as opposed to just one. One is much more neatly done but at least he won't look quite as lopsided.
It's not done--there was no way I was going to get the front without him going grande mal tantrum on me--but I must say it looks a sight better than it did when we started.

I have half a mind to mail that Super Cuts stylist the hairy sucker.

I gave him the traditional apres trim shower to get off all the little tiny hairs and that seemed to retore his good mood

If this snow doesn't abate soon, he and I are going to end up giving each other manicures. Or I'll make him a pageant gown out of vintage table linens and teach him how to sing, "I Want to Be a Cowboy's Sweetheart."

No comments: