Wednesday, September 17, 2008

From A-List to Sick List

The past couple of days have been exciting in Babyland but I'll keep my report brief as I'm using the tail end of my lunchhour.

The day before yesterday, Donny's Aunts Claire and Heather were in town for a whirlwind visit. As usual, they skillfully hooked up with a majority of their friends, this time via a lovely party thrown for them by their friends Todd and Beth. Mike and I had decided that we would go to the party right when I was done with work. I should note that, without the proper decompression time after work my socializing skills can deteriorate. They did somewhat at this party--I caught myself eating layer cake with my hands right in people's faces, for instance--but it was such a comfortable affair that I think I did alright. And, really, I was'nt worried so much about myself as about Donny as he had just come from the doctor where he got two rounds of shots at once. I must say that Donovan really did well. There were a couple brief stints of crying but only because he managed to bonk his head on the floor and table. As far as being socialable, I think he did just fine. AND he gave his Aunt Claire a big slurpy open mouth on the cheek kiss, which made me happy.

The next morning, I got Donovan out of bed to wake him up and the boy was like flypaper--very unusual for my Put Me Down I Want To Walk boy. One thing I wish is that babies had an Affection knob where you could turn it up or down as necessary. Donny is'nt not affectionate but its definately on his own terms. Thus, when he crawls into my lap on his own accord and burrows his head into my shoulder, my first thought is "Sweet!" quickly followed by, "Uh Oh." Turns out he had a fever, most likely a residual effect of his shots the day before. I took the day off and we spent the day at home together. I did get him to take a couple of good sized naps, despite the fact that there were roofers banging away right outside the bedroom window.

Today, Mike and I are both back at work and Donny's at daycare. So far, so good.

No comments: