Thursday, August 9, 2007

Breastfeeding: Sheesh...

Yesterday was a crazy day--Donny was really fussy in the morning. REALLY fussy. Despite the shrieking and the crying of real tears we got him dressed in his Jimmy Sommerville Back Up Singer outfit and took him into daycare. I went to work where the craziness continued in workmode: new people to train, new paperwork to fill out about the new people, crazy patrons who don't understand that we don't have Wonkavision in the archives and cannot send them their chocolate bar immediately via their television. In the middle of all this I got a call from daycare that Donovan had a fever and could I come get him, please? I called Mike, left work early, caught the 500 to Eastminster, met Mike, packed up our hot, sweaty little Jimmy Sommerville Back Up Dancer and went to the doctor. Doc said give him Tylenol for Babies. We left the Doctor's to a torrential downpour. Oddly, the Doctor's office, if you take a left, opens up into a Boston Market, so we had dinner there so the rain could stop. When we finally got home and got the boy to bed I realized: I had'nt pumped at all.

Today I had to go in early for a meeting that turned out to be good despite being 3 hours long. I went to lunch late and came back to a leak in the Archives room. Luckily, the leak only dampened empty boxes but it still pissed me off and required much moving of furniture and supplies. In the middle of all this, day care called to say the their power had gone out and could I come get Donovan, please? I called Mike to let him know, tried to find the powers that be at the library to let them know I had to go mid-leak (*snort*) and, failing to find the powers that be, I told the women who are really in charge. I caught the 500, got the kid, hung out at Goodwill until the rain stopped and Whole Foods reopened, met Mike at Whole Foods and we went home. Home to where there was no electricity and the clock in the kitchen said the power went out about 6 hours earlier. I ate the pasta salad I'd gotten myself for tomorrow's lunch and then fell asleep and dreamed about Tears for Fears (?!). Woke up and realized: No pumping today, either.

When I think of the money I've spent buying pumps, renting pumps, buying nursing bras, much less the fact that I've been driven to drinking beer...it makes me grumpy...

No comments: