Sunday, August 12, 2007

Escape From Tunic Mountain

The office is in the room next door to the nursery. Whenever we put the boy down for the night, I take the opportunity to go online and do whatever while I wait to see if he really and truly is going to go to sleep. That is, in fact, what I'm doing right now--its earlier than usual for him but we had him out with us all day, starting with church at 10am, thru lunch and various varieties of shopping until about 4pm. We normally have him sit with us at the dinner table--we pull his carseat stroller up between us--and tonight he was so sleepy he fell asleep sitting up like that. Right now, he's psyching me out, making little noises that could either be "I'm cooing before I go to sleep," or "I'm winding up for the mother of all screaming sessions."

The shopping today was necessary and good. Mike got a new pair of shoes. He gets shoes with the same frequency that the children in the "Little House On the Prairie" books got shoes, so its always a big occasion. I am smack in the middle of my own personal midlife crisis which involves clothing: when I wasn't looking, clothes changed. Waistlines have both dropped and risen, fabrics are strangely stretchy and thin and the currency of the realm seems to be tunics. As a big gal, I can't quite rock the tunic. Tunics on skinny girls are swingy; tunics on big gals are muu muus. Imagine my surprise when, amid the tunics and the sleeveless tops I found a black boucle wool top. Sort of a bolero jacket, sort of a cape, sort of the stuff of my dreams. Sure, I won't be able to wear it until November, but I can wait. It was just nice to meet myself amid the racks at Marshalls. I do have taste, albeit odd, and I'm happy I found time amid motherhood to reinforce it.

Mike just came up with a bottle for the boy. The fussing has begun...

3 comments:

Amy Grant, Stella Dot, and Yma said...

The irony of the tunic is that I was forced to wear them for 5 months while I was pregnant. Now that I'm NOT pregnant, they are all the rage. But, I'm sick of them and they make everyone (even the skinny girls, I'm afraid) appear pregnant. I guess my suspicions are correct: pregnancy is the new black.

Jennie B. said...

I think you're right that pregnancy is the new black. Which means our babies are the new teacup poodles shoved into huge designer handbags...

sheryl said...

I was just noticing yesterday at brunch one of our baristas in the cutest ever retro looking tunic with small pockets on the front...I didn't realize they had become the fashion. She is extremely tiny so it worked for her.
congratulations on your find! I am so glad to hear it's improved your outlook.
xoxo